Who we are
Girls’ Empowerment Mission is a program to empower high school girls from under served communities by providing opportunities and growth experiences that will enable them to become independent, self-sufficient, and confident young women.
Year 1: Self Discovery
(Grade 9 - Grade 10)
Year 2: Career Exploration
(Grade 10 - Grade 11)
Year 3: Leadership
(Grade 11 - Grade 12)
GEM meets after school twice a month from 2:30-7:30 PM. The girls have activities, speakers and field trips related to their curriculum. The group also has 6 overnight weekend retreats a year at a variety of locations. The retreats and activities serve many purposes including:
- Exposure to areas of Maryland and surrounding areas
- Opportunity to be away from their homes to get the ready to go away to college
- A chance to focus on themselves for an extended period of time
- A safe, supportive and nurturing environment
- Caring and compassionate adult staff and volunteers
- Cultural and educational field trips
- Intensive curricular programming including GEM activities and guest speakers
- College Visits
- Service to others
Being nominated for GEM is an honor. Ninth grade girls may be nominated by school faculty for demonstration of motivation and/or potential. Once the girls are nominated, they are invited to an informational meeting. The next step involves filling out an application and having an interview. The last step is being invited to attend a GEM activity. Girls are selected based on fulfilling the above requirements and their demonstration of motivation and interest in the program.
A few of the things we've been up to:
- Manicures to nursing home residents at Levindale Nursing Home.
- Cleaning toys at the Baltimore Child Abuse Center.
- Creating holiday cards for children at Johns Hopkins Hospital.
- Collecting toiletries for homeless shelters.
- Tutoring at elementary schools and local community centers.
- Sponsored Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
- Sponsored Women’s History Month.
- Put care packages together for Turnaround.
- Clean Up Day at Genesee Valley Outdoor Learning Center.
- Cheering for walkers in the Susan B. Komen Breast Cancer Walk-a-thon.