Who we are
Girls’ Empowerment Mission is a program to empower high school girls from under served communities by providing opportunities and growth experiences that will enable them to become independent, self-sufficient, and confident young women.
Year 1: Self Discovery
(Grade 9 - Grade 10)
Year 2: Career Exploration
(Grade 10 - Grade 11)
Year 3: Leadership
(Grade 11 - Grade 12)
GEM meets after school twice a month from 2:30-7:30 PM. The girls have activities, speakers and field trips related to their curriculum. The group also has 6 overnight weekend retreats a year at a variety of locations. The retreats and activities serve many purposes including:
- Exposure to areas of Maryland and surrounding areas
- Opportunity to be away from their homes to get the ready to go away to college
- A chance to focus on themselves for an extended period of time
- A safe, supportive and nurturing environment
- Caring and compassionate adult staff and volunteers
- Cultural and educational field trips
- Intensive curricular programming including GEM activities and guest speakers
- College Visits
- Service to others
A few of the things we've been up to:
- Manicures to nursing home residents at Levindale Nursing Home.
- Cleaning toys at the Baltimore Child Abuse Center.
- Creating holiday cards for children at Johns Hopkins Hospital.
- Collecting toiletries for homeless shelters.
- Tutoring at elementary schools and local community centers.
- Sponsored Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
- Sponsored Women’s History Month.
- Put care packages together for Turnaround.
- Clean Up Day at Genesee Valley Outdoor Learning Center.
- Cheering for walkers in the Susan B. Komen Breast Cancer Walk-a-thon.