On October 21, 2016, Wonder Woman, the iconic superhero, was named an Honorary Ambassador for the Empowerment of Women and Girls by the United Nations and will be tasked with raising awareness about Goal 5 of the UN Sustainable Development Goals, which seeks to achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls by 2030. Gender equality is a fundamental human right and a foundation for a peaceful, prosperous and sustainable world,” said UN Under-Secretary-General for Communications and Public Information Cristina Gallach, Linda Carter
GEM’s mission to empower girls from underserved communities is aligned with the new goals and we are thrilled that the UN has made empowerment of girls and women a priority. GEM’s programs address all the same key areas that the UN has cited as a priority.
The UN’s Goal 5 includes five key areas:
- Speaking out against discrimination and limitations on women and girls;
- Joining forces with others against gender-based violence and abuse;
- Supporting full and effective participation and equal opportunity for women and girls in leadership in all spheres of life – including the workplace;
- Ensuring all women and girls have access to quality learning, and: Sharing examples of real life women and girls who are making a difference every day
- Our GEM girls are future Wonder Women, exhibiting strength, perseverance, and the fight for justice. GEM’s goal is to help each of our girls become Wonder Women.